Last week’s article looked at 10 of the 20 options shortlisted for this two-part series focused on passport acquisition via a property investment. The first ten countries included: Dominica, Saint Lucia, Grenada, St,Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Portugal, Malta, Mauritius, Spain and Cyprus. This week we complete the twenty-strong list.
Fiji (Island country in the South Pacific Ocean)
- Population: 909,400 (2015 estimate)
- Fun fact: The majority of Fiji’s islands were formed through volcanic activity that began approximately 150 million years ago. Today, there is still geothermal activity on two islands of the over 330 that make up Fiji.
- Requirement: A $125,000 (R1.625mil) real estate investment secures residency and after five years of living, citizenship can be acquired.
Brazil (Located in South America)
- Population: 207,350,000 (2017 estimate)
- Fun fact: A Brazilian passport will provide visa-free access to 153 states, 56 more than a South African passport.
- Requirement: $140,000 (R1.82mil) in a real estate investment secures residency and four years later, citizenship can be applied for.
View of Riga, Latvia (Credit: Worldatlas.com)
Latvia (Located in the Baltic region of Northern Europe)
- Population: 1,953,000 (2016 estimate)
- Fun fact: Latvian (together with Lithuanian) are the only two surviving Baltic languages.
- Requirement: €275,000 (R4.262mil) in a real estate investment, making it the cheapest European real estate investment programme. The residence permit can lead to an application for permanent residency, which in turn can then lead to citizenship after 10 years.
Belgium (Located in Western Europe)
- Population 11,250,000 (2016 Census)
- Fun fact: Belgium is one of the six founding countries of the European Union and hosts the official seats of the European Commission, Council of the European Union as well as a seat of the European Parliament in the country’s capital, Brussels.
- Requirement: €350,000 (R5.425mil) in a business investor scheme approved project. Once residency has been approved thereafter, there is no requirement to live in the country. After 5 years, application for citizenship can then be made.
Andorra (Landlocked state in Southwestern Europe)
- Population: 85,470 (2014 estimate)
- Fun fact: Although not a member of the European Union, the euro is the official currency.
- Requirement: Minimum investment of €400,000 (R6.2mil) in real estate guarantees residence and after 20 years citizenship may be applied for.
Bahamas (An archipelagic state within the Lucayan Archipelago, Atlantic Ocean)
- Population: 372,000 (2017 estimate)
- Fun fact: The Bahamas consist of more than 700 islands, cays, and islets.
- Requirement: $500,000 (R6.5mil) real estate investment secures permanent residency and after 10 years of living, citizenship can be acquired. €350,000 (R5.425mil)
View of Dublin streets in Ireland (Credit: Lonely Planet)
Republic of Ireland (Western European Island nation in the North Atlantic)
- Population: 4,600,000 (2011 estimate)
- Fun fact: Together with Northern Ireland, the island is the third biggest in Europe and twentieth largest in the world
- Requirement: €500,000 (R7.750mil) in a real estate investment. Irish citizenship can then be applied for after 5 years of uninterrupted living.
Turkey (Transcontinental country in Eurasia with a smaller portion in Southeast Europe)
- Population: 79,814,000 (2017 estimate)
- Fun fact: One of the few direct Citizenship by Investment Programmes (CIP), passport holders enjoy visa-free access to 102 countries, five countries more than South Africa, but with no free movement in Schengen states.
- Requirement: $1mil (R13mil) real estate investment and includes citizenship for family and children with no requirement to live in Turkey after citizenship is awarded.
Monaco (A sovereign city-state located on the French Riviera in Western Europe)
- Population: 37,308 (2016 Census)
- Fun fact: Known as a playground for the rich and the famous, estimates in 2014 put the percentage of US dollar millionaires at over 30%.
- Requirement: Minimum investment of €1mil (R15.5mil) in property secures residency. Citizenship can then be applied for after 10 years.
View of New York (Credit: PC Wall Art)
The United States of America (States primarily located in North America)
- Population: 323,127,000 (2016 Estimate)
- Fun fact: Over the last ten years, approximately three-quarters of investment visas issued by the US, have gone to Chinese recipients.
- Requirement: Certain, qualifying real estate projects (to the value of $1.8 mil (R23.4mil) can lead to the issuing of a green card and thereafter US citizenship after 5 years of uninterrupted living in the country, defined as a total absence of no more than 3 months.
Note: currency conversation was calculated using USD/ZAR: 13.00 and EUR/ZAR: 15.50
17 countries where money can buy you a second passport or ’elite residency’ - Alison Millington on Business Insider
Over 80% of Brits would pay more for a 2nd passport than they spend on monthly rent - Alison Millington on Business Insider
How AP collected, parsed data on China’s investor immigrants - The Associated Press
Investment Specialist at Discovery Invest
Mark graduated with a Business Science Degree from the University of Cape Town in 2007. He then joined Sharenet, during which time he also completed his B.Com Honours through UNISA. Mark has helped to build, launch and manage derivative and share trading brokerage businesses. He is also a JSE Registered Securities Trader, and has worked on the trading desk at Sharenet. After seven-and-a-half years at Sharenet Mark then moved to Reitway Global (a specialist Global Listed Property Fund Manager) where his passion for property was further kindled. Mark currently works for Discovery Invest as an Investment Specialist on their Investec Managed fund offering. He has over ten years of experience in the equity and asset management sector and can be reached at: email@example.com
The views and opinions (where expressed) in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Discovery Invest.