Experiencing Slow Browsing Speeds?
There can be a wide range of reasons why your experience of our site may be slow, typically it does not relate to a problem at Sharenet because we have fast servers that are hosted at 2 of the country's largest ISPs state-of-the-art data centers.
- If you are in an office environment, your line is shared with co-workers.
Its possible that their activity could be overloading the line between your
ISP and your office, especially if several are downloading files such as
Microsoft patches, or a virus/worm has infected the network. Please try
browsing a number of other sites to determine if its a general problem
- If you are on a dialup connection, make sure no other programs on your PC
are downloading data (such as automatic virus updates or Windows update
tasks). Try browsing a number of other sites to determine if they are also
slow, if they are please contact your ISP for assistance.
- Other applications running on your own computer and the amount of
available memory can cause pages with lots of data and tables to load slowly
on your computer. If our site is normally fast, try closing applications and
check RAM and CPU usage on your PC to ensure there is not a program hogging
either of those resources. Try browsing our site on a colleague or neighbors
PC to determine if the issue may be with your PC.
- If none of the above help, please send us an email answering the
- What operating system are you using?
(Windows95/98/NT/2000/XP/MacOsX/Redhat Linux 9.0/etc)
- What browser and version are you using?
(Internet Explorer 5/IE 5.5/IE 6/Mozilla 4.0/Netscape 7.0/etc)
- What type of connection do you have?
- What ISP are you with?
- What City are you in?
- What Sharenet site are you having trouble with?
www2.sharenet.co.za / trade.sharenet.co.za)
- Were any of our other sites faster?
- Does the site start loading, but take a long time to load or does it not
even start loading?
- What time today you first notice this problem?
- It is useful to see the route data takes to our servers in looking at problems. Please do a traceroute and attach the results to your email to us.
You can do a traceroute as follows:
- Go to MSDOS prompt and type: tracert -d www.sharenet.co.za >c:\trace.txt
- Attach the c:\trace.txt file to your email
- If you are finding trade.sharenet.co.za slow please replace www.sharenet.co.za above with trade.sharenet.co.za
Thank you for your co-operation in trying to locate the source of this issue.