EU executive says: be ready for "possible" no-deal Brexit

BRUSSELS, June 12 (Reuters) - The European Commission updated its contingency plans for any no-deal Brexit on Wednesday, telling European Union countries, companies and people that they have to be prepared.

"The Commission considers that a withdrawal of the United Kingdom without an agreement remains a possible outcome, with all its negative economic consequences," the EU's executive said in a statement, adding that contingency preparations so far "remain adequate and fit for purpose".

"Nevertheless, the Commission will continue to monitor political developments and assess if any extension of the adopted measures will be needed," it said. (Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Catherine Evans)

2019-06-12 12:14:20

© 2019 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. "Reuters" and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies.