Australia's Bingo gets regulatory nod for Dial-a-Dump, plans share buyback
(Adds background on the acquisition)
Feb 28 (Reuters) - Waste management firm Bingo Industries
Ltd on Thursday received regulatory approval for its
planned acquisition of smaller rival Dial-a-Dump, and said it
will conduct a share buyback.
Bingo plans to buy back of up to A$75 million ($53.5
million) of its ordinary shares on-market, the company said in a
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
said separately that it had decided not to oppose the planned
acquisition of Dial-a-Dump after Bingo agreed to sell its
Banksmeadow processing facility in New South Wales state.
"We have concluded that the proposed acquisition, taking
into consideration the divestiture undertaking, would be
unlikely to substantially lessen competition in any market,”
ACCC Chair Rod Sims said.
The ACCC had raised concerns about the acquisition in
November, saying it could harm future competition in the market
for processing, landfill and collection of building and
Bingo announced the A$577.5 million ($421.7 million)
acquisition in August last year in a bid to take advantage of a
Chinese ban on waste imports. The deal could make the company
the biggest waste collector in Sydney, Australia's most populous
Bingo shares rose 7 percent in morning trade in a steady
($1 = 1.4010 Australian dollars)
(Reporting by Shanima A in Bengaluru; Editing by Richard
© 2019 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. "Reuters" and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies.