Changes to the board of directors of the company
SANDOWN CAPITAL LIMITED
(Incorporated in South Africa)
(Registration number 2000/013674/06)
Share code: SDC ISIN: ZAE000249645
("Sandown Capital" or "the Company")
CHANGES TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE COMPANY
Shareholders are referred to previous SENS announcements, the last of which was published on 23 August 2018,
advising shareholders of, inter alia, of the Company's intention to reconstitute its board of directors (the
Shareholders are advised that the board has accepted the resignations of Sean Melnick, Sean Jelley, Lawrie
Brozin, Duncan Randall and Cindy Hess, who have resigned from the board with effect from 5 September 2018.
The following directors have been appointed to the board with effect from 5 September 2018:
1. Warren Chapman (CEO, executive director)
- B Comm (Accounts and Business Economics), University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 1992
- Safex qualifications, 1996
- Member of the SA Institute of Stock Brokers, 1998
- CFA Charterholder, 2003
Warren has steered Peregrine Securities to become the largest equity and derivative broker on the JSE by
value traded and to remain highly profitable in a declining industry. Warren has a deep understanding of
hedge funds and capital market structures and remains abreast of global trends in this area. He also sits on
several regulatory and policy committees and comments extensively on draft regulation. Warren has a keen
interest in financial technology, particularly in collecting and interrogating large data for decision making
and risk management especially in capital markets. Warren has a proven track record of identifying market
and investment opportunities to increase revenues and market share.
2. Andrew Hannington (CFO, executive director)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons)
- Chartered Accountant (SA)
Andrew was previously CEO of Grant Thornton in Johannesburg, and prior to that CEO and National
Chairperson of PKF. He was a member of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants Senior
Partners Committee and during his career acted as the reporting accountant on a number of JSE listings.
Andrew is currently an independent corporate consultant and in addition, advises a number of non-profit
organisations in the environment, religious and education sectors. Andrew is the chairperson of Sandown
Capital's Audit and Risk Committee and is a member of the Remuneration, and Social and Ethics
3. Paul Baloyi (Chairman, independent non-executive director)
- MBA (Financial), University of Wales, Bangor, UK (Thesis Corporate Risk Management), 2003
(Subjects: Financial Management, Strategic Management, Bank Management, Corporate Risk
Management, Quantitative Management, Organisational Management Methods, Corporate Financial
- Advanced Management, Insead, France, 2006
- SEP, Harvard Business School, Boston, 2001
- MDP, Stellenbosch University, 1996
- Commercial Banking Diploma, IOB, Licentiate, 1989
Paul is currently the managing director of CAP Leverage (Pty) Ltd, an industrial holding company. From
June 2006 until April 2012, he was the chief financial officer and managing director of the Development
Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA). Paul also served as chief executive officer and managing director of the
DBSA Development Fund. Prior to this, Paul spent 30 years in the Financial Services Sector, with both
Standard Bank and the Nedbank Group. Other directorships include serving on the board of directors of
Old Mutual South Africa, enX Group Limited and Basil Read Limited where he is the chairman. Paul also
serves on various board committees (Audit, Risk, Remuneration, Nominations) as a member and chairman.
4. Fatima Vawda (Independent non-executive director)
- BSc Maths & Applied Maths (with distinction), Wits University, 1992
- Honours in Mathematics of Finance (with distinction), Wits University, 1993
- M.Sc Applied Mathematics (with distinction), Wits University, 1994
- HdipCs. (Higher Diploma in Computer Science), Wits University, 1996
- MAP (Management Advancement Programme), Wits Business School, 1999
Fatima has founded two highly successful businesses in Legae Capital and 27 Four Investment Managers.
She was awarded the 2017 BBQ Comair Business Woman of the Year award and the 2016 EY Emerging
Entrepreneur of the year. She also contributes on several committees and associations as follows: executive
director of Africa Collective Investments (RF) (Pty) Ltd, 2015, member of the Association of Black
Securities and Investment Professionals (ABSIP), member of the board of directors of the Association of
Savings and Investment South Africa (ASISA), member of the Financial Sector Charter Council Reporting
Working Committee, member of the Nedlac Social Security Task team.
5. Amanda Smith (Mandy Munro-Smith) (Independent non-executive director)
- Admitted attorney, High Court Pietermaritzburg, 1996
- LLB, Bachelor of Laws, University of Cape Town, 1993, Deans Merit List
- B.A. Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, University of Cape Town, 1990
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces, admitted attorney, 1996
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), International Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (United States)
& local South African chapter
- Forensic Practitioner South Africa FP(SA), Institute of Commercial Forensic Practitioners (ICFP)
Mandy has held the Executive position of Group Head: Financial Crime Control at Standard Bank and
prior to that, the position of Equity Partner and Director in the Governance, Compliance and Investigations
Practice Group at Bowman Gilfillan for 10 years. She was admitted as an attorney with right of appearance
in the High Court of South Africa in 1996. Mandy has a BA and LLB degree from the University of Cape
Town (Dean's Merit List). Mandy has over 19 years' experience in governance, compliance and corporate
forensic matters performed across a spectrum of corporate, institutional and public sector clients. Mandy
co-founded the Governance, Compliance and Investigations practice area at Bowman Gilfillan in 2006 and
was ranked globally by Chambers & Partners as a "Leading Individual" and "Band One Lawyer" in
Chambers & Partners Global Ranking Guide of Best Lawyers & Law Firms, 2016.
The above appointments to the board will be put to shareholders for approval at the Company's annual general
meeting ("AGM") to be held on 15 November 2018. Further details regarding the AGM will be published on
SENS in due course.
6 September 2018
Date: 06/09/2018 04:52:00 Produced by the JSE SENS Department. The SENS service is an information dissemination service administered by the JSE Limited ('JSE').
The JSE does not, whether expressly, tacitly or implicitly, represent, warrant or in any way guarantee the truth, accuracy or completeness of
the information published on SENS. The JSE, their officers, employees and agents accept no liability for (or in respect of) any direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential loss or damage of any kind or nature, howsoever arising, from the use of SENS or the use of, or reliance on,
information disseminated through SENS.
Email this JSE Sens Item to a Friend.