Acquisition of properties in Gauteng and Kwazulu-
EQUITES PROPERTY FUND LIMITED
(Incorporated in the Republic of South Africa)
(Registration number 2013/080877/06)
JSE share code: EQU ISIN: ZAE000188843
(Approved as a REIT by the JSE)
ACQUISITION OF PROPERTIES IN GAUTENG AND KWAZULU-NATAL
Shareholders are advised that Equites has concluded legal agreements (“sale agreements”) to acquire the letting
enterprises in the following two properties from Investec Property Group Holdings Proprietary Limited (“seller”):
- A 37 834m2 distribution centre let to Nestle (South Africa) Proprietary Limited (“Nestle”) on a 93 237 m2 site
in Longmeadow Business Estate, Gauteng (Portion 1 of Erf 63 Longmeadow Business Estate Extension 2
Township, Registration Division I.R., Province Gauteng) (“the Longmeadow Property”); and
- A 26 857m2 distribution centre let to Pick-n-Pay Retailers Proprietary Limited (“Pick n Pay Retailers”) and
Nestle on a 50 454m2 site in New Germany, Kwa-Zulu Natal (Portion 5 of Erf 1394 New Germany Township,
Registration Division F.T., Province of Kwa-Zulu Natal) (“New Germany Property”),
for an aggregate purchase consideration of R648 018 978 (“purchase price”) (as at the estimated effective date of
1 June 2018) (“the transaction”).
The two properties were offered to Equites as one transaction and the sale agreements are inter-conditional and
2. RATIONALE OF THE TRANSACTION
As logistics properties of this nature and quality rarely come to market, Equites is pleased to have acquired these
two well-located, high-quality, modern logistics facilities of substantial scale, occupied by two A-grade tenants
with strong lease covenants with fully repairing and maintaining leases that are long-dated and consistent with
the lease expiry profile that Equites targets. Rental escalations are above inflation at 7.5% in respect of the two
leases in the New Germany Property and 7.25% in respect of the lease in the Longmeadow Property. The
Longmeadow Property has a 1 039m² vacancy in the office section which was acquired as part of the transaction
for no additional consideration.
Equites has targeted key logistics nodes in Gauteng, Cape Town and Durban as its areas of focus in South Africa.
The acquisition of the New Germany Property represents its first foray into the Durban market. The topography
of the greater Durban area makes building big logistics warehouses very expensive due to the extent of bulk
earthworks required to create flat platforms. At R9 906/m² the New Germany Property’s purchase price compares
favourably with replacement costs.
The addition of these two high-quality income producing properties enhances the company’s existing real estate
portfolio and is expected to result in enhanced returns over the medium to long term.
The transaction is therefore consistent with Equites’ stated growth and investment strategy of:
- focusing on premium “big-box” distribution centres, let to investment grade tenants on long-dated “triple net
leases”, in proven logistics nodes and built to institutional specifications; and
- building a high-quality logistics portfolio in both South Africa and the UK, consisting of properties with
predictable rental growth profiles, that promotes capital growth and increasing income returns over the
medium to long-term.
Equites views the two properties as evidencing the following sound investment/property fundamentals:
- Situated in one of South Africa’s premier logistics nodes, Longmeadow Business Estate, the property benefits
from excellent infrastructure, reliable access to labour and easy access to a range of road networks;
- This 37 834m² facility was custom built to Nestle’s exacting international specifications;
- The site extends to a total area of 93 237m², which provides an internationally acceptable site cover of
significantly less than 50%;
- Nestle recently extended its lease until 31 December 2030. Nestle is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nestle
S.A., which is listed on the Swiss Stock Exchange with a current market capitalisation of approximately R3
trillion. The Nestle group is one of the top 100 companies in the world;
- The existing Nestle lease expires on 31 December 2018 and the 12-year renewal provides for a reduction in
rental to R59/m2 from that date (“Longmeadow adjusted rental”); and
- 1 093m² in the office section of the property is vacant (2.89% of total GLA) with Nestle covering the
operational costs in respect of this area until it is let.
New Germany Property
- New Germany adjoins Pinetown and Westmead and is a prime warehousing, logistics and manufacturing
node situated near the N3 highway;
- The property is centrally located with access to the N3 via the M7. The node also offers access to Durban via
the King Cetshwayo highway. Various secondary roads servicing the greater Pinetown area are available
should there be congestion on the N3 or King Cetshwayo highway. Importantly, this area is the last logistics
area before the Mariannhill Toll Plaza;
- This 26 857m² facility was developed for and used by Nestle until their recent decision to consolidate their
entire Southern African warehousing food solution in the Longmeadow Property;
- The major part of this property is currently let to Pick-n-Pay Retailers (25 398m²) with a portion of the offices
(1 459m²) being let to Nestle. Both leases expire on 31 December 2022;
- Pick n Pay Retailers is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pick n Pay Stores Limited, which is listed on the JSE
with a market capitalisation of approximately R34 billion. Pick n Pay Retailers is the major trading subsidiary
of Pick n Pay Stores Limited and therefore the financial position and performance of the group is largely
drawn from this subsidiary; and
- The site extends to a total area of 50 454m², which provides an internationally acceptable site cover of
3. DETAILS OF THE PROPERTY
The total purchase price of R648 018 978 constitutes an acquisition yield of 8.75%. This is based on the contracted
rental income for the 12 months commencing 1 June 2018 and assuming a market-related rental for the vacant office
space at the Longmeadow Property of R100 per m2.
The effective acquisition yield of the transaction is 7.40% based on the effective purchase price as set out in
paragraph 4.2 below and the Longmeadow adjusted rental as set out in paragraph 2 above.
Gross Weighted average Total
Geographical Lettable rental per square consideration
Property name location Sector Area (m2) metre (monthly) payable
Longmeadow 1 Nguni Drive Logistics 37 834 R93.08 R 381 952 567
Property Longmeadow Ext 2
New Germany 31 Lanner Road, Office 26 857 R60.00 R 266 066 411
Property New Germany
The total consideration payable is considered to be in line with fair market value, as determined by the directors
of the company. The directors of the company are not independent and are not registered as professional valuers
or as professional associate valuers in terms of the Property Valuers Profession Act, No.47 of 2000.
4. SALIENT TERMS OF THE LEGAL AGREEMENTS
4.1 The transaction is subject to the following outstanding conditions precedent:
- Equites confirming that it is satisfied with the results of its due diligence investigation; and
- the approval of the Competition Authorities.
4.2 The purchase price payable by Equites for the properties shall be calculated as follows:
- In respect of the Longmeadow Property, by capitalising the aggregate net rental for a 12-month
period from 1 January 2019 by 7% and adding the positive difference between the actual rental
payable by Nestle from the transfer date up until 31 December 2018 and the net rental that Nestle
would have paid during the aforementioned period if the monthly rental was equivalent to the
monthly rental charged in 2019 (“top slice rental”).
- In respect of the New Germany Property, by capitalising the aggregate net rental for a 12-month
period from the date of transfer by 7.5%.
- If transfer occurs on 1 June 2018, the aggregate purchase price for the two properties will be
R 648 018 978, which includes an amount of R9 402 967 relating to the top slice rental. The
aggregate purchase price excluding the top slice rental amounts to R638 616 011 (“effective
4.3 The effective date of the transaction will be the date on which the two properties are transferred from the
seller to Equites, from which date the ownership of the properties (and all risk and benefits in respect of
the properties) will pass to Equites. It is estimated that the effective date will be 1 June 2018.
4.4 The seller has provided warranties and indemnities to Equites that are standard for a transaction of this
5. FINANCIAL INFORMATION
Set out below is the forecast for the transaction (“the forecast”) for the 9 months ending 28 February 2019 and
year ending 29 February 2020 (“the forecast period”).
The forecast has been prepared on the assumption that transfer of the two properties will be completed, and rental
income in terms of the leases received, from 1 June 2018.
The forecast, including the assumptions on which it is based and the financial information from which it has been
prepared, is the responsibility of the directors of the company. The forecast has not been reviewed or reported on
by independent reporting accountants.
Forecast for the Forecast for the
9 months ending year ending
28 February 2019 29 February 2020
ZAR ‘000 ZAR ‘000
Rental revenue 33 289 48 772
Straight-line adjustment 6 780 6 023
Net property income/net operating profit 40 069 54 795
Less: finance costs -13 086 -17 497
Net operating profit after tax 26 983 37 298
Add back: Straight-line adjustment -6 780 -6 023
Profit available for distribution 20 203 31 275
The forecast incorporates the following material assumptions in respect of revenue and expenses:
1. Rental revenue comprises:
a. contracted rental income of R33 289 000 in respect of the 9 months ending 28 February 2019
and R47 455 000 in respect of the year ending 29 February 2020. Top slice rental is credited
to the purchase consideration and is not recognised as rental revenue;
b. the rental derived from the Nestle lease in Longmeadow is based on the contracted lease
agreement and has been adjusted in accordance with IFRS to account for the purchase price
adjustment for the higher rental from 1 June 2018 to 31 December 2018 and the subsequent
reversion for the remaining lease period;
c. U\uncontracted rental of R1 316 933 in respect of the existing office vacancy at the
Longmeadow Property, which is assumed to be let with effect from 1 March 2019.
2. All contracted rental agreements are assumed to be valid and enforceable. The escalations provided for
during the forecast period are in line with the rental agreements.
3. The leases are fully repairing and insuring leases and normal property operating expenses are assumed to
be recoverable from the tenants.
4. The property and asset management functions for both properties will be performed internally.
5. The transaction will be financed in line with the current capital structure. This assumes a loan-to-value
of 30% throughout the forecast period. The marginal cost of debt assumed in the forecast is 9.0%, which
is in line with the current marginal cost of funding.
6. No fair value adjustment is recognised.
7. There will be no unforeseen economic factors that will affect the tenant's ability to meet its commitments
in terms of the leases.
The transaction is a category 2 transaction for Equites in terms of the JSE Listings Requirements and accordingly
does not require approval by Equites shareholders.
13 March 2018
Corporate advisor and JSE sponsor
Date: 13/03/2018 05:40:00 Produced by the JSE SENS Department. The SENS service is an information dissemination service administered by the JSE Limited ('JSE').
The JSE does not, whether expressly, tacitly or implicitly, represent, warrant or in any way guarantee the truth, accuracy or completeness of
the information published on SENS. The JSE, their officers, employees and agents accept no liability for (or in respect of) any direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential loss or damage of any kind or nature, howsoever arising, from the use of SENS or the use of, or reliance on,
information disseminated through SENS.
Email this JSE Sens Item to a Friend.