Egypt prosecutor says e-coli was cause in deaths of British tourists
CAIRO, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Egypt's public prosecutor said on
Wednesday that e-coli bacteria were a factor in the deaths of
two British tourists in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada last
The prosecutor gave details in a statement of an official
medical report after an investigation into their deaths.
It said John Cooper, 69, was suffering from health problems
but that e-coli was a cause of heart failure that led to his
death. Cooper's wife Susan, 63, was also likely to have been
affected by e-coli and died of gastroenteritis.
British tour operator Thomas Cook, which the couple
was travelling with, moved 300 customers from the hotel they
were staying in, the Steigenberger Aqua Magic, following the
deaths on Aug. 21.
Local Egyptian officials initially said both deaths were
from heart attacks, but the public prosecutor ordered a full
Thomas Cook said it had found a high level of e-coli and
staphylococcus bacteria at the hotel they were staying in.
(Reporting by Haitham Ahmed, Omar al-Fahmy, John Davison;
Editing by Hugh Lawson and John Stonestreet)
First Published: 2018-09-12 17:13:12
Updated 2018-09-12 17:44:24
© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. "Reuters" and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies.